Dropshipping: How Does It Work?
If you have been looking for ideas to start your own business or even to create a spinoff of an existing one, you may have encountered a couple of times already the word dropshipping.
The definition of dropshipping is very simple: You are a business that sells stuff to your customers, but you never have had stuff in a warehouse of your property. Instead, you order it from the supplier, and the supplier sends it directly to your customer.
Easy enough, right?
Now that you know the concept, let’s dig deeper and learn how it works.
How does it work?
There are three basic tasks to do to start your dropshipping adventure: Look for your supplier, create your store, and get people to know you.
Looking for your supplier
This is going to be the backbone of your operation, so you need to make sure to check everything you need from the supplier of your products.
- Compare different providers of the same product. Check quality, price, and policies and select the one that provides you the best mix of all of them.
- When searching for suppliers don’t limit yourself to geographic boundaries but take advantage of our connected world.
- Revise their shipping policy, make sure they are able to fulfill the orders with your company’s name in the package.
- Learn about their process to complete an order from the moment you make it to the moment the package is delivered to your customer.
Creating your store
Now that you’ve chosen your star supplier you can focus on creating your store. This is going to be an online space where you will offer the products you’ve researched and carefully selected for your customers.
- Every site you see on the internet started with a basic design. Sketch the ideas of how you want your site to look like. Ask for feedback to your friends or experts since that will polish the design before getting to actually create it.
- Years ago, creating a website from scratch used to be nearly impossible for someone without expertise in the field. Nowadays, there are specialized platforms such as Shopify and WooCommerce that can be of tremendous help to achieve this with understandable effort. If you can get the help of an expert developer, that makes it even easier for you!
- Get all the graphic assets and copy for your site. This covers product photos, descriptions, and company information. Your customers will need all this to trust your store and make the decision to purchase.
Getting people to know you
The store is ready, the supplier is ready... Now you need to let people know who you are! Since this is an online store, the no-brainer decision is to promote it also online. But how?
- Use the social media platforms that the people that are interested in your product use regularly. This will be easier if you’re part of that audience because you already have an idea of where to find them and how to talk to them. If not, it’s something solvable by researching their online behavior and preference. An expert in this field would be very helpful for better results!
- If you have the possibility, you can start also making investments in online ads, such as Google Ads or Facebook Ads. You can start small to see how they work and scale the investment according to results.
- Real-life communities are also great “captive audiences” where you can share the good news of your brand-new online store. Ye olde mouth-to-mouth marketing still works!
I’d like to try it, but…
Don’t worry, I know. The idea sounds really appealing but a bit daunting at the same time. You’re not alone in that feeling. Several entrepreneurs feel that every single day.
Luckily, it is not a task that you need to take all by yourself.
Uassist.ME’s Creative Services department can help you all along your journey to start your dropshipping business. Our expert digital marketers, graphic designers, and web developers have the abilities required to assist you in each step of the path and much more.
Want to know more? Schedule time for a free consultation here and we’ll be glad to help!